EURO-2012 in Ukraine
Небезпечні партнери в
помочь предпринимателю в условиях кризиса?
Анекдоти про бізнес
The Golden diadem of Kyivshchina
Kyiv -Trypillya (40 km) - Rzhyshchiv (80) -
Ulyaniki (87) -
Kaniv (115) -Pereyaslav-Khmelnitskiy (178) -Kyiv (260 км)
G U I D E B O O K
Citizen union "TOVARYSTVO KOLO-RA"
Tel / Fax: (380-44) 257-01-47;
Tel / Fax: (380-44) 572-11-13
E-mail: kolo-ra @ trypillya.kiev.ua
____Kyiv oblast boasts an exceptionally
favourable geographical situation surrounding Kyiv, the capital city of
Ukraine, including the famous Dnipro river, part of the Trakhtemiriv
national park, a number of landmarks of ancient cultures and beautiful
natural surroundings. Kyiv region is the main gateway to Ukraine. Tourists
can find much to interest them in the Ukrainian national identity,
traditions, crafts, architecture and folklore, all of which are being
studied by experts. .
____Of special importance are
the discoveries made by the archaeologist Vikentiy Khvoika, who
discovered the Trypillya, Zarubinets and Chernyakhivska archaeological
cultures for Ukraine and for the entire world. Alongside these discoveries,
some monuments in Kyiv, Kaniv, and a site of the ancient Scolots tribe
settlement have been unearthed, dating back to the Palaeolithic period and
the Kievan Rus period. In his study of monuments belonging to different
historical epochs, Khvoika concluded that the settlements in the Dnipro
river basin developed continuously and that the ever-changing cultures were
mutually complementary, as well as confirming that early grain-growing
culture is of local and therefore Slavic origin.
____A monument to this famous archaeologist (sculptor
has been erected next to the archaeological museum in the village of
Trypillya, and the name of Vikentiy Khvoika has been added to the UNESCO
List of Famous People.
____Trypillya dwellers settled along rivers,
including the Dnipro midstream, and this is the reason why the Kolo-Ra
society has conceived the idea of a tourist itinerary of the monuments of
Trypillya culture all along the Kaniv reservoir: Kyiv - Trypillya (40 km) -
Rzhyshchiv (80 km) - Ulyanyki (87 km) -Kaniv (115 km) -
Pereyaslav-Khmelnitskiy (178) - Kyiv (260 km).
____Later, the landmarks of Trypillya and other
archaeological cultures will be surrounded by accurate reconstructions of
daily life of the population of Ukraine from the Stone Age until the present
____The itinerary's first stopping point from Kyiv
is the village of Trypillya, located on the right bank of the River Krasna. The
village derives its name from the characteristics of the locality. Three fertile
valleys are divided by the Stugna, the Krasna and the Bobritsya rivers. Three
Trypillya culture settlements are located along the Bobritsya river. One
settlement was excavated by Vikentiy Khvoika.
the right of the entrance to the village of Trypillya
rises Divich mountain, where an altar to the Goddess
of the Zarubinets culture has been unearthed.
____There are burial grounds of
the Zarubinets archaeological culture in the vicinity of Divich Mountain
(III century B.C. - II century B.C.) , as well as remnants of the ancient
Rus settlement of Trepol, first mentioned in the year 1093. It is likely to
have been built circa 1032 A.D. by Yaroslav the Wise, who established
several settlements along the Stugna river while trying to fortify the
borders of the Rus State.
____Trepol played an important
part in the Kievan Rus State. In the second half of the XI century A.D. it
became a centre of crafts and trade and acted as 'the main waterway';
providing a port for vessels that cruised the River Dnipro. The art of
pottery was highly developed in the town. Goods made by local craftsmen were
exported to distant countries.
____Trepol was also an important
fortification protecting the Rus State from the onslaughts of the Pechenegi
and Polovtsy tribes, as well as acting as an assembly point for the Rus
princes who set off to fight the nomad tribes. Records of Trepol date back
as far as 1135 and 1205 A.D.
____Under the Tatar-Mongol occupation or yoke,
the town was plundered and destroyed at the end of 1240; nevertheless in
1300 the name of Trepol is mentioned among those towns which were rebuilt
from the ashes.
Statue of a female figure, Trypillya pottery
found by Vikentiy Khvoika near the settlement
close to the village of Trypillya.
At present the territory of the ancient settlement is occupied by the
Regional Museum of Archaeology, Where a core exhibition reflects the
Trypillya Culture of the V-III millenniums B.C.
____Kolo-Ra society members, in close
collaboration with scientific adviser Olena Yakubenko, head of the
Stone-Bronze Age Department of the National Museum of History of Ukraine,
have produced enlarged replicas of Trypillya sculptured figures from
archaeological excavations. Three 1.5 m high sculptures are placed on the
roof of the Museum.
____Replicas of authentic female figurines
dating back to Trypillya archaeological cultures are available at the museum
shop. These replicas are excellent visual aids for schoolchildren, students,
art experts, ethnographers, historians and others in their studies of
ancient civilizations; they also make attractive and unusual souvenirs for
Statue with cut-in ornamentation, found at
a site in the vicinity of Berezivka village,
Gaivoron district, Kirovograd oblast.
The beginning of the middle Trypillya epoch, period B-I.
Found during archaeological excavations by Olena Tsvek.
The original is in the depository of the Institute of Archaeology,
National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
Authors of reconstruction:
Member of National Union of Masters of Folk Artst L. Smolyakova;
O. Trachuk, Head of the Kolo-Ra Society.
Sculpture of a Trypillya woman who seems to be appealing to us from the
found at the excavation site near the village of Volodymyrivka, Kirovograd
Found by M. Makarevich.
Advanced middle Trypillya period B-II.
The original figurine is displayed in the National Museum of History of
Author of Reconstruction: sculptor, Mykhailo Gorloviy.
Statue from the village of Sushkivka,
Beginning of later Trypillya period, period C-I.
Excavations carried out by V. Kozlovs'ka.
The original figure is displayed in the National Museum
of History of Ukraine. Author of reconstruction - Member
of National Union of Masters of Folk Arts Franya Kalyuzhna.
A piece of pottery an ancient
settlement near the village of Veremya.
Cross from the village of Shcherbinivka.
village of Khalepya is situated on the right bank of the River Dnipro, at
the confluence of the Skvoritsya and the Bobrytsya rivers. Located at the
mouth of the Bobrytsya river is a multi-layered settlement of the
Neolithic, Eneolithic, Middle and Late Bronze ages, Scythian, Early Slav
and Old Rus periods. The monument is unfortunately deteriorating rapidly.
____Early settlements have been discovered by
archaeologists near Tsyganka Mount and Zholudivka tract. In a classic
settlement of Trypillya culture in the vicinity of Kolomyishchina 1 (one
of a few settlements completely unearthed in 1934-1938, 39 sites were
discovered by archaeologists S. Magura, T. Pasek and E. Krychebvskiy).
____Two more settlements, Kolomyishchina IІ
and Kolomyishchina IIІ, can be found nearby.
____At the outskirts of a
village bearing almost the same name is the Old Rus town of Khalep,
with which the site of an ancient settlement is associated. Khalep is
first mentioned in the chronicle of 1093. In his Sermon to Children,
prince Vladimir Monomakh wrote: 'At the Stugna River we fought with the
tribe of Polovtsy near Khalep, the town near the River Dnipro, and then we
made peace with their princes'. As a fortified town, Khalep sprang up in
the XI century. Mentioned in a chronicle written in the XII century, it
was ruined by the Tatars in 1239.
Finds of Trypillya pottery from
the settlement Kolomyishchina 1.
____The remnants of the
town mentioned in the chronicle can be found in the north-east part
of the village, on the steep bank of the River Dnipro. The
settlement site has been known since the XIX century. It is
described by L. Pokhilevich, V.Antonovich. In An Archaeological Map
of Kiev Region by V.B. Antonovich (1895) we find the following: 'In
the village there is a site of a settlement, part of which has
collapsed into the River Dnipro. Near the village there are 7
large and 100 small burial mounds.'
____In 1971 an expedition of the
Institute of Archaeology of the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences,
headed by V.I. Dovzhenko, carried out excavations on the territory
of the settlement site and found the remains of dwellings.
____The site is being constantly washed
away by the waters of the Kaniv reservoir. As a result, a major part
of the settlement has disappeared into the River Dnipro. The
excavations clearly show a cultural layer and the contours of
boasts a settlement of the late Palaeolithic period, Zarubinets and
Trypillya cultures. In the north-eastern part of the village there is a
multi-layered site dating from the X-XI centuries and XVII-XIX centuries.
Near the village on the steep banks of the River Dnipro, on two plateaux
separated by a ravine, is another site of an ancient settlement,
Vytachiv, the remains of an Old Rus fortified town mentioned in chronicles.
The fortress was constructed to protect one of the most important Dnipro
fords, which opened the way to Perepetove field. Vytachiv is also
mentioned as a large port in writings of the Byzantine emperor
____The settlement has been known since the
____Between 1961 and 1963 archaeological
excavations under the guidance of B.Rybakov were made at the settlement
site. According to his observations the main archaeological material
belongs to the X-XI centuries, the time of Prince Volodymyr.
____The three parts of the city each had
their own fortifications; in addition all three parts were enclosed by a
common rampart 1100 m long. A fragment of the gate tower remains. The
fortress walls were made of a series of wooden enclosures, of a width
varying from 3.6 to 4.5 m. The wider enclosures had inner rooms for
warriors while the narrower ones were filled with earth. The enclosures
are alternated in the following way: one empty enclosure, two enclosures
filled with earth.
____Among the excavated fortification
structures is the remains of a signal tower. A fire would have been lit on
the upper platform of the tower to convey information to Kiev and other
localities about possible danger. All the fortress structures were covered
with a thick layer of earth to protect them from fire. A corner tower
called Slukh (Hearing), with reinforcing layers between floors has
also been excavated. Beneath narrow premises equipped with a fireplace an
egg-shaped cavity dug in subsoil and filled with clay (vertical diameter
197 cm, cross diameter 152 cm) was found. This is 'Slukh' ('Hearing') - a
great underground resonator which permitted any traces of mining along two
lines of fortifications to be heard.
____Vytachiv is mentioned several times in
connection with the military operations of the Old Rus princes. In the
year 1085, prince Volodymyr Monomakh defeated the tribe of Polovtsy near
the walls of the Vytachiv fortress. On August 30 1110, the Rus princes
assembled in Vytachiv for a Congress convened by princes Svyatopolk
Svyatoslavich and Vladimir Vsevolodovich Monomakh. At this Congress the
princes reconciled their differences in the face of a common danger, the
attacks of the Polovtsy tribes. Ruined by the Mongol Tatars in 1240,
Vytachiv is mentioned as a small village at the beginning of the XVII
____The remnants of another town mentioned in
the chronicles, Svyatopolch (or Novgorod- Svyatopolch), have been
preserved on a plateau 1.5 km from Vytachiv. In the year 1095 when the
Polovtsy hordes approached Gyurev (Yuriev - now Bila Tserkva) and burned
the town to ashes, local residents fled to Kiev. " … Svyatopolk ordered
that a city should be put up on Vytychiv hill and named after him, and he
ordered that bishop Murik with the residents of Guryev come here because
Guryev had been burnt by the Polovtsy." Thus the bishop of Guryev Murik
together with his cathedra temporarily moved to Svyatopolcha where he
stayed until 1103 when Svyatopolk restored Yurev.
____The city remained on Vytachiv hill and is
mentioned in the chronicles of 1223. The same year when the Rus princes
suffered a setback in the battle with the Mongol Tatar hordes at the river
Kalka and began to retreat towards Kyiv, the Tatar hordes chased them up
to Svyatopolcha. The residents of the city came into the streets of the
city to meet the Rus warriors but were slaughtered by the Tatars. After
this, there is no further mention of Svyatopolch in the chronicles.
____Excavations carried out at the site of
the ancient settlement have revealed the remnants of the fortification
wall and the burial vault of those who perished during the Mongol Tatar
onslaught. Now only the memorial stone reminds our contemporaries about
the city once mentioned in the chronicles as existing on the Dnipro hills.
is a multi-layered settlement of Trypillya, Zarubinets and Old Rus periods
found on the outskirts of the village at a distance of 1.5 km from the
river pier and 0.5 km from the brickworks.
____'The city of Stayek' appears in a
historical document of 1427 and is indicated on a special map of Ukraine
drawn by G. Boplan (1650). The city's fortifications are mentioned in the
works of I.I. Fundukley, who mentions remains of the rampart as high as 23
m. According to V. Petrashenko and V. Kozyuba, authors of the
architectural sights catalogue The Banks of the Kaniv Reservoir, there was
an ancient Old Rus settlement in the centre of the village. A settlement
of the Trypillya period C-I (4000 B.C.) was discovered right at the exit
from the village, to the right of the road to Strytivka (where a school
for Kobza players is located).
____Our road now takes us 2.4 km down the
Dnipro from Staiki. To the left of the road we can see a settlement of
Trypillya archaeological culture, the remains of which occupy a plateau on
the bank. The settlement was discovered by V. Khvoika. 30 sites were found,
forming an outer circle, and the traces of an inner site.
of Trypillya and Chernyakhivska archaeological cultures are
located in Vasilishin Yar at the edge of the steep bank of the
River Dnipro, 0,4 km upstream of Grebeni. During excavations
carried out by S. Bibikov and M. Shmagliy between 1961-1962, 26
dwellings were uncovered but the research was not completed by
archaeologists, hence important conclusions could not be drawn.
Located downstream is a whole group of archaeological sights:
1. The site of an ancient settlement:
I century B.C. - I century A.D.
2. VII-VIII century settlement.
3. Burial mound in Mogila tract, known since pre-revolutionary times.
4. A Trypillya archaeological period settlement in Vinagradove tract
(in 1992 M.Videiko used geomagnetic techniques to discover its size:
180 x 180 m).
Trypillya pottery from the
5. Still further downhill, in Onistrativ shpilok tract, a double layered
settlement of Trypillya and Old Rus times.
6. Settlement of Scythian and Old Rus periods in Yancha tract.
7. Old Rus burial ground comprising 27 burial mounds dating back as early
as the XI-XII centuries.
8-10. Three settlements of Trypillya archaeological culture along Yancha
tract, two of them are double layered (the second layer belongs to the
Chernyakhivsk archaeological culture).
11-13. Three settlements belonging to different archaeological cultures
(Trypillya, Zarubinets and Old Rus) in Gorodishche tract.
In-between the village of Grebeni and the town of Rzhyshchev a unique
concentration of archaeological sights of different archaeological periods
has been found.
settlements dating back to the period of Trypillya archaeological
culture in Zhydova Dolina and Khomine tracts. A multi-layered
settlement in Monastyryok tract occupies the plateau edge of the steep
Dnipro bank (80 m high), where the Transfiguration Monastery was
situated. Between 1963 and 1964 V. Goncharov discovered traces of
three archaeological epochs - Trypillya, Zarubinets, and Old Rus
____A double layered archaeological site
in Ripnytsya tract 1 was discovered between 2001- 2003 during
excavations carried out under the guidance of S. Ryzhov (candidate of
Historical Sciences), B. Magomedov (doctor of Historical Sciences) and
V.Shumova - three dwellings dating back to Trypillya аrcheological
period and a Chernyakhivska dugout dwelling with a kiln for making
Painting of men on the ceramic of Trypillya
IV mil. B.G. Rzhyshchiv.
Excavations by Vikentiy Khvoika.
figurine and its replica
(on the right, after S. Ryzhov, аuthor - L. Smolyakova)
found in Ripnytsya tract, the town of Rzhyshchiv,
excavations carried out in 2001.
works are underway for a reconstruction of Ripnytsya settlement
dwellings, the first such reconstruction in Ukraine, with the
purpose of creating an exhibit to serve the aims of education and
____A multi-layered site in Stare
Mistechko is located at the entrance to the town of Rzhyshchiv,
atop a 30 m hill overlooking the River Dnipro (a very fine
observation site for tourists). There was a fortified town here in
the XIX century, which had a citadel (see the special map of
Ukraine by Boplan). The fortifications occupied the entire surface
of the hill, 500 x 250 m. A complete restoration for the purposes
of tourism may be recommended.
____The site of an ancient settlement
on the territory of the present day town of Rzhyshchiv in
Ivan-Gora tract has been known since the end of the XIX century.
V.B.Antonovich describes it as follows: 'There is a rectangular
site of an ancient settlement 350 m in diameter, a mile from the
town near Rzhyshchev Monastery.' The site was excavated by several
expeditions of the Institute of Archaeology, Academy of Sciences
of Ukrainian SSR, under the guidance of V.K. Goncharov in
1960-1966 and P.P. Tolochko in 1982-1983.
____The site is identified with the
fortified town of Ivan, mentioned in the chronicles of recording
the struggle for Kiev between prince Izyaslav Mstislavovich and
Yuri Dolgoruky. The juxtaposition of the geographical locations
mentioned in the chronicles with the topographical details of Old
Rus documents, as well as the name of the tract where the site of
an ancient settlement is located, undoubtedly testifies that this
is the location of this fortified town, mentioned in the list of
town-fortresses located along the River Dnipro. B.Rybakov
expressed the opinion that Ivan Castle may have belonged to Yan (Ivan)
Vyshatich, a Kiev chieftain.
____Ivan-Gora site is located atop a
hill and surrounded on the east, west and south by a deep gully.
The site rises 65-70 m above the River Dnipro. A major part of the
site has been washed away into the River Dnipro.
Pottery of the X-XIII centuries
from Ivan-Gora settlement.
Ivan-Gora. Current status.
____Excavations have revealed that the
construction of the central fortified part of the town was worked out in
accordance to the latest developments in fortification technique of those
Along the edge of the central fortified part of the town the remains of
two rows of oak fencing, constructed to interconnect and filled with earth,
have been found. They constituted a high wall, 5.2 m in width, made of
earth and wood.
____Many fragments of pottery, pieces of
glass bracelets, beads, knives, scissors, spears, stirrups, fishing hooks
and millstones have been found. Items made of coloured metals are
represented by buckles, bracelets, rings, bell-shaped buttons, crosses,
and a lead hanging seal with the bust of a male figure with a nimbus.
Since the seal is poorly preserved it is impossible to find out to whom it
____At the distance of 1 km east of the
ancient settlement , at the site of the present day Rzhyshchiv
Construction Technical School, an unfortified settlement once existed,
which belonged to one of the nearby villages surrounding the town of Ivan.
Dwellings and household equipment found both in the village and the
settlement date back to the XII -XIII centuries. More than 10 dwellings of
wooden frame construction have also been found.
____Research carried out at the site of the
settlement Ivan-Gora make it possible to ascribe it to one of the
fortresses of the Dnipro defence line, which protected the crossing across
the River Dnipro and close approaches to Kyiv.
____Complete demolition of the fortress,
after which it ceased to exist, is connected with the first Tatar campaign
and plundering of this part of the Dnipro coastline after the battle at
the Kalka river in 1223. The village ceased to exist together with the
site of the ancient settlement.
settlement sprang up at the former site of Ivan-town, the first
mention of which dates back to 1506. The reconstruction of Ivan-Gora
settlement will preserve this archaeological landmark from further
"Svarog" started at the
upon Great Silk Roud 06.07.2003.
The establishing of the Regional
Archeological Museum Branch and Trypillya culture's garden 10/03/2003,
reconstruction of the settlement Ripnitsya 1 (Trypillya archaeological
period, late IV millennium B.C., Chernyakhivsk archaeological culture
II -IV century), reconstruction of the site of the ancient settlement
of Ivan-Gora (XII century) as well as the fortress with suitable
ethnographic and folklore content could convert the present-day town
of Rzhyshchiv into a centre of socio-cultural and rural tourism of
south-east Kyiv region and find a significant place on the itinerary
The Golden Diadem of Kyivshchina.
Settlements of Trypillya archaeological :
· located in Gardy tract, discovered by V. Kozlovska in 1926, studied by
S. Magura in 1930. Fourteen dwellings have been discovered dating back to
the period C-I (early III millennium B.C.).
· discovered between the villages of Balyki and Shchuchinka by V. Khvoika
in 1901, some dwellings have been discovered.
____At the end of the XIX century there were
still 22 burial mounds in the fields near Balyko-Shchuchinka. In 1840 the
remains of a rider and horse were found in the area, accompanied by
weapons, bits, stirrups and decorations for a saddle and bridle (Antonovich,
1894). V. Khvoika excavated a Scythian burial vault with iron armour and a
belt inside. Several burial mounds remain which are being destroyed as the
historic memory of Ukraine fades.
Plan of Shchuchinka ancient settlement
indicating excavation sites and discovered premises.
ancient settlement site is located on the bank of the River Dnipro
rising 70 m above river level. The site occupies a territory of about
5 hectares and consists of two parts: a fortified central section and
the remaining area. Both parts were protected by ramparts and ditches.
A portion of the preserved rampart rises as high as 4 m. The entrance
to the outer town was from the south-west, from the ravine, leading to
the central fortified part of the town from the south, where there is
a large breach.
____In 1110 the Polovtsy tribe seized
Chuchin and the villages near Pereyaslav. Historical, archaeological
and topographical data testify that the Balyko-Shchuchinka site can
be associated with the town of Chuchin mentioned in the chronicles.
____In 1961-65 the site was investigated
by the Kaniv expedition of the Institute of Archaeology of Academy of
Sciences of Ukrainian SSR, under the guidance of V.I. Dovzhenko.
____Excavations were concentrated on the
fortified part of the town, the rampart surrounding it, and the
territory of the outer town. The remains of wooden constructions have
been found, a fortress tower, as well as the traces of a secret
passage, dwellings, tools etc.
____Wooden constructions were also found in
the part which protected the central fortified section of the town from
the south. They constituted wooden walls with space in-between filled with
earth placed in rows up to the edge. They ran 4 m lengthwise in the
direction of the rampart and their width was 2 m. Parallel to the walls
there was a row of empty wooden frame structures which were used as
residential and household premises. Bigger frames alternated with smaller
ones, the length of a larger frame was 4 m and that one of a smaller 1.4
m; they had the same width of 1.6 m.
____In the south-eastern part of the rampart
where it approaches the cliff from the side of the River Dnipro there was
once a tower, of which remains of a square basement room totalling 9 sq. m
has been found. The alternating layers of ashes and soil found under the
basement indicate that the tower used to have several floors.
floor right above the basement served as a battle ground at the level
of the lower walls, the other floors rose higher above the fortress
wall. There was a thick post dug in the ground in the centre of the
tower, as a pile of charcoal and a hole indicate. Presumably it
constituted support for a multi-storied tower. A secret passage was
located in the northern part of the settlement. The entrance to it has
been found right near the edge of the cliff over the Dnipro.
Reconstruction of the XII century
Chuchin fortress, part of the Dnipro defence line which along with
those of Sula and Ros protected the Kievan Rus.
distance of 30 m from the entrance a tunnel has been unearthed, dug in
hard soil at a depth of 6 m, leading from the entrance to the edge of
the site of an ancient settlement in the direction of the River Dnipro.
The height of the tunnel passage is an estimated 2 m and the width 1.5
During excavation at the site, a number of military and household items
were found. Of special value is a bronze embossed plate with a very
accomplished picture of St. Basil, presumably made by Rus craftsmen.
historic Chuchin, which remains as the Balyko-Shchuchinka ancient
settlement site, is one of the fortresses of the Dnipro defence line
which, alongside those of the Sula and the Ros, protected the Kievan
Rus state against the onslaughts of the nomads. It may have been
inhabited by warriors, mentioned in the chronicles as 'guardians',
whose duty was to protect the borders at a certain part of the Dnipro
____At the moment the ancient settlement
site is occupied by the Bukrin Bridgehead memorial complex, which was
unveiled to commemorate the liberation of Kiev in 1943. For the
construction of the above-mentioned complex, a unique ancient Rus
architectural landmark was completely destroyed except for a small
section of rampart with a memorial plaque.
____A project for reconstruction of the
Chuchin fortress and the memorial complex might be considered, thus
emphasising the importance of the protection of Ukrainian lands over
____Successful joint excavations in 2000, carried
out by the Institute of Archaeology, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
(M.Y. Videiko) and the Kolo-Ra Society uncovered a Trypillya archaeological
culture settlement (late IV millennium B.C.) , a settlement dating back to the
Bronze Age ( II millennium B.C.), four Scythian-era settlements ( VI-V
centuries B.C.), four settlements of the Chernyakhivska archaeological culture
(III-IV centuries A.D.), and a settlement dating back to Kievan Rus times
(XI-XIII centuries A.D.), which indicates that the region has
not been researched properly so far. It preserves huge historical and cultural
material and awaits interested researchers such as Vikentiy Khvoika, Valentin
Danilenko, Mykola Shmagliy and others.Of special interest for reconstruction
might be the site of an ancient settlement located over
the road to the village of Pyii.
The territory from Trypillya (Obukhiv district) to Bukrin
(Kagarlyk district) should be proclaimed a preserved zone of Trypillya
culture landmarks, entered in the UNESCO World Heritage List. UNESCO
landmarks constitute a globally-recognised indication of value for tourism
and cultural heritage which is crucially important for the successful
development of tourism in Ukraine.
____The Institute of Archaeology of the
National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, together with the Kolo-Ra Society,
Pereyaslav-Khmelnitsky State Teacher-training University and Rzhyshchiv
Industrial Teacher-training Technical School, are carrying out preparatory
work for the realisation of an innovative project to create a complex near
the village of Ulyanyky, Kagarlyk district, to serve historic,
archaeological, scientific and educational purposes. The complex will create
a living reconstruction of ancient settlements of the grain-growing
Trypillya culture of the V-III millenniums B.C., settlements of the Bronze
Age and of the early Slavs as well as an Ancient Rus settlement. Household
items, tools, buildings, traditions and the way of life of previous
generations will be recreated for the purposes of tourism and education.
site for the complex has been chosen in a very picturesque corner on
the right bank of the River Dnipro, accessible by bus, car or motorboat
on the Dnipro. The local landscapes of Ripnitsya and Chagari can match
the Carpathian valleys for unspoiled beauty, the spring waters
and herbs and flowers are health-giving as well as lovely.
____We are certain that investments
channelled into the reconstruction of material objects in the 50 km
historical and cultural
heritage zone (archaeology, folklore and ethnography) on the right bank of
the Dnipro river (Trypillya-Khodoriv) will provide
ideal prerequisites for the development of tourism in the region.
effective introduction to archaeological culture for tourists is
by means of reconstruction. Thus for instance a reconstruction of a
site has been made in the village of Dobrachivka, Pereyaslav-Khmelnitsky
district, on the River Supiy by archaeologist I.
of both material finds and the daily life and traditions of the ancient
epoch will enable us to recreate the environment which gave birth to the
Administration, Rzhyshchiv Town Administration and the Kolo-Ra Society
under the supervision of experts of the National Academy of Sciences of
Ukraine annually organize the folk festival
Ivan Kupala (first held on July 5-7 2003 in the town of Rzhyshchiv) in
both Orthodox and ancient traditions. Every village and town within The
Golden Diadem should work with ethnographers and experts in local lore
to celebrate local farmers' holidays, the traditions of which
have survived almost unchanged The events in the region should be
coordinated to compliment each other like flowers in a wreath..
At the time of festival at the dig of
trypillya house (Rypnitsa-1, Rzhishiv area)
demonstration of trypillya dress and ceramic reconstruction made by
Pereyaslav-Khmelnitsky are famous centres of tourism and do not require
any additional information in our reference guide. Our interesting trip
to the ancient cultures of Eastern Europe which existed in the heart of
Ukraine is coming to an end in Kyiv.